Refreshing the Arts

Hopkins Hall Renovation

Originally constructed in 1959, Hopkins Hall, home of the university’s art department, underwent a two-year, two-phase renovation that included an exterior refresh, interior renovation, and sustainable efficiencies throughout.

The update included the removal of the dated brick and replaced with over 17,000 square feet of custom translucent glazing curtain wall. New additions included photography and printmaking studios and a mechanical room. The new studios, offering a 20% smaller footprint than the spaces in their former home, were designed to be flexible and allow simultaneous activities without disruption to teaching or production processes.

A mechanical improvements project overlapped the renovations project and was carried out while the building remained occupied with a full class-load. Improvements included three AHUs and duct throughout, extensive power, data and lighting upgrades, full sprinkler and fire alarm, and all new water-saving plumbing fixtures.

The building achieved LEED Silver Certification from the United State Green Building Council and received two additional awards from the American Institute of Architects: Honor Award for Newly Completed Renovations (Ohio), and the Columbus (Ohio) Honor Award.

Project Details

Owner:

The Ohio State University

Location:

Columbus, OH

Markets:
Services:
17K
Square Feet
1959
Original Build

Start Your Next Project

Ready to get started? Let us know how we can help.

Project Details

Owner:

The Ohio State University

Location:

Columbus, OH

Markets:
Services: