Historic Site Revitalized with Welcome Center Addition

Hale Farm Welcome Center

More than 75,000 people a year visit Hale Farm and Village, a recreated community of 32 mid-1800 historic structures scattered throughout a 90-acre site in the Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area.

To accommodate the large amount of annual visitors and growing number of events and activities, PRIME AE designed a new 1,000 SF addition to the Visitor Center that architecturally ties into the original 14,000 SF structure designed in 1990 by Braun & Steidl Architects, now a part of PRIME AE.

The addition was carefully detailed to respond to the sensitive historical context and was scaled to not overpower the surrounding smaller historical buildings, while expanding and concealing technological amenities behind the scenes. The Welcome Center now includes interactive cultural and craft displays and additional meeting space to compliment the original structure. Careful selection of material was incorporated to blend with the existing building, and half a dozen different shades of stain were blended to match the weathered look of the wood siding on the original structure.

Project Details

Owner:

Western Reserve Historical Society

Location:

Peninsula, OH

1810
historic era
75K
annual visitors

Start Your Next Project

Ready to get started? Let us know how we can help.

Project Details

Owner:

Western Reserve Historical Society

Location:

Peninsula, OH